Thursday, December 25, 2014

The Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain and a Get Lost Guide






Merry Christmas! We went to the Spanish Steps first today. Above is the view from the very top if the steps! There were some repairs being done, so it wasn't decked out like the postcards show you. It was built in collaboration by the Spanish and the Vatican. 



The area around the steps is filled with nice shops and international brands like Prada. We had a light lunch at a place called Cucina & Vista, to the right of the steps if you're facing them. 


They also offer gelato and mini pastries like sfogliatella, cannoli and palmiers. 


It's a really nice, simple restaurant. I recommend it.


 It's Syd! Have fun Pheven. 



I can't remember what this was, but I think it's spaghetti carbonara. 


The gnocchi was good as well. 

 After lunch, we started walking toward the Trevi Fountain. After four days here, I am starting to see the charm of Rome. 










So we got really really really lost on our way to the fountain. I think it was a combination of rain, bad directions, a bad map and the fact that the fountain is really tucked away from the main streets. It was actually fun though, and I recommend getting lost in any city if you have time. It was  actually really funny because we walked in a giant circle back to Trajan's Column that we were at yesterday! 


It is definitely under major repair, but is till dropped a coin into the basin! People say that if you toss a coin in, you'll return to Rome. 

We found pastries (finally) at a little shop to the left of the Trevi. Mini sfogliatella, tiramisu and canoli! The conoli were better than the ones I had at Mike's Pastry in Boston. The shells at this shop are crispy and they fill your canoli with cream when you order it so it's not sitting around for a long time. 




We headed back after that! Rome at night is pretty! I had to try really hard to not get run over though. 
Travel tip
The metro is open on Christmas Day! But only at certain times. We were caught in a block of time when it was closed, so we had to take a taxi back to the hotel. Also, restaurants and shops around the city center are mostly open as well. 



Bye for now friends! We're going to Florence tomorrow. 

Love , marissa 






No comments:

Post a Comment