Okay, so I wrote about how we did the mad dash to the subway/PATH train (it connects Hoboken and NYC which is really neat), how I was dumb and wore flats with a broken foot, and how we almost didn't get our rental car. A lot of stuff happened in between that mess and I need to speak about it.
My teachers are really nice and didn't assign much homework. The catch is that AP testing is in a few weeks, so I still need to study. (I'm brushing up on my art history at the Smithsonian and Metropolitan.) So I lugged three review books and three fat binders full of notes, plus a notebook for a project that I'm working on. I'm pretty sure that weighs at least 60 pounds, and I'm not kidding. On top of that, I decided to forego a rolly suitcase in favor of my Vera Bradley duffle bag, which probably weighed 60 pounds in its own right. Which means that I had to lug both through the airport to get to NYC as well as through the whole debacle last night. Let me just tell you, 120 pounds is NOT THE RECOMMENDED 10% YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO CARRY ON YOUR BACK SAFELY. MY BAGS PROBABLY WEIGH MORE THAN ME AND I DIDN'T EVEN OVER-PACK. I'm so sure that they weigh more than me because my collar bone is sore (or broken). So that made the adventure last night extra painful. That's what I needed to share because it was really traumatizing.
Anyways, today we toured the capitol building, which is the Senate and House of Representatives. DC is really beautiful and had a ton of blooming flowers. It
almost makes me feel ashamed of our garden, which is basically dead plants and thriving weeds. (But secretly I like it. Not that I like weeds, I just hate plants).
The weather is amazing, besides the fact that it was so windy I was surprised there wasn't a tornado. The cherry blossoms were blooming too and it just made everything a little bit magical.
So this is the capitol. Honestly it wasn't super enthralling but it was interesting. I SAW A COPY OF THE MAGNA CARTA AND ITS CASE IT WAS SO COOL. The architecture was through the roof awesome, especially because now I understand all the different time periods and styles of art.
 |
| Once again, sorry for the bad lighting on the bottom right. |
The star, I learned, is the center of Washington DC. Beneath it is a crypt and it was supposed to be for George Washington's remains. However, since he didn't want to leave Mount Vernon, the crypt is empty but if you rub your foot on it, that is supposedly good luck.
 |
| Look at my swaggy bro (his name is Timo). Magna Carta top left. |
So we got out of there and then we ate lunch in the Senate cafeteria. I know that at school all cafeterias have bad rap but this cafeteria was GOOD and they had killer mac&cheese. And sushi. I love sushi. We moseyed on over to the Washington Monument. And that is how I fell asleep on the grass. My mom, Syd, Small Man and Timo to find water/tea/gatorade. They got liquid sustenance and then walked all the way up to the monument because they thought that my dad, James and I walked ahead of them. But we didn't. So we took a couple photos and then the grass looked comfy and my dad already fell asleep so then I did. Then my dad shook me awake and we trudged to the monument.
We finally found them (and WATER) and then made our way to the World War Two Memorial and the Lincoln Memorial. Below is the evolution of my Padre and Small Man in the art of getting their photo taken.
 |
| World War 2 Memorial |
The Lincoln Memorial was amazing!! Lincoln is HUGE! And his Gettysburg Address is engraved on the wall. I then proceeded to kind of lose my brothers, realize that they left with my dad and confirm that my phone really is a terrible piece of machinery.
We went to Shake Shack for dinner and it failed to live up to its hype. The custard was yummy, but I felt guilty eating it! Now I have to study if I want to amount to something in life. Goodnight.
No comments:
Post a Comment